Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Deligh-TOFU-l

So, I've been bad.... unfaithful to my blog.
Well, I am back and feeling MUCH better I would assert.

What did the trick you ask? The "favorite things" I discussed earlier definitely do the trick!
In the soup category, I have a specific one I should list... Soon Tu Bu. Spicy Korean Soft Tofu soup!
Yes, both delicious and nutritious. Mostly, I believe it has magic powers to rid you of a cold.

Feeling much too ill to make the trip to my local Korean restaurant, I tried my hand at the healing, hearty concoction.
After researching the almighty Google, I came up with a game plan to make this delicacy. I created a sort of hybrid version from the many options I saw online. I was amazed at the ease of process and the incredible taste of my homemade Soon Tu Bu. My bowl even rendered the umami I have tasted in many a bowl purchased at the best Korean establishments.


My recipe will render roughly 10 servings in 2 cup portions. What?! I was sick and was craving this particular soup.
Please note that I can handle quite a bit of heat, so if you feel ambivalent, I would recommend layering the spice in slowly and to your taste. Use the same method with all of the ingredients in fact! I believe this soup to be highly customizable and I know it can suit any taste palette out there; so, play with it and make it your own.
Add mussels and shrimp or even make it completely vegetarian!

Ingredients:
  • Half cup of dried anchovies
  • 1 small package of dried nori (seaweed); about 6 sheets of 3"x2" pieces
  • 1/4 lb of thinly sliced beef; rib-eye is recommended, but I used sirloin
  • 3 stalks of Chinese chives
  • 1 package of Extra Soft Tofu (it's usually the green package)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can 16oz can of beef broth
  • 1 cup of shelled soybeans
  • 1/2 cup of dehydrated black mountain fungus
  • 7 large fresh shitake mushrooms (dehydrated will work too)
  • 3 eggs
  • sesame oil
  • 6 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1/4 cup of Korean Chili Flakes
  • 1 cup of prepared KimChi cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/2 medium white onion sliced
  • Korean pepper paste (Gochujang)
  • Soy Sauce to taste
  • 1/4 cup of rice wine
  • 1 jalepeno pepper sliced
Method:
  • Marinate beef in rice wine, 2tb of soy sauce, 2 cloves of garlic and set aside
  • Rehydrate any dehydrated items
  • In a heavy bottom pan on medium heat, heat about 2 tablespoon of oil - then add 2 tablespoons of the chili flakes and garlic and saute.  The pepper flakes will turn dark, but don't let them burn. Add the anchovies and let break down and brown (about 2 minutes).
  • Add in onion and beef and brown slightly until almost done (about 5 minutes)
  • Add mushrooms, Kim-chi and mountain fungus and drop in a spoon of the pepper paste
  • Stir everything together and coat with the paste
  • Pour in the broth and deglaze the pan
  • Let everything come to a rolling boil (about 5 minutes)
  • Throw in chives, JalapeƱo, soybeans, and diced nori
  • Add half a cup of water and wait for rolling boil again
  • With a tablespoon, scoop in bits of the tofu into the boiling pot at a time
  • Crack the eggs into the boil. Make sure to stir so the eggs break up in the pot.
  • Taste for seasoning and adjust with soy sauce, chili flakes, and pepper paste
  • Eat alone or serve with rice
Whether you are feeling a little under the weather or are just hankering for something spectacular to make your taste buds dance....try a savory bowl of Soon Tu Bu. 
Let me know what you think!



I apologize for my lack of pictures in this post, but if you're hungry for some visually edible delights, check out my friend Rachel's blog. Not only is it beautiful to look at, but the recipes for delectable delights will make you reconsider eating healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment