Monday, January 10, 2011

Let it snow, let it snow, LET IT SNOW!

Is there anything more delightful than snow? Yes, I saw the heads shake in derision as I typed that last line. Well "boo" to the naysayers! While for some of you Northerners, snow is often an unwelcome sign of heavy laborious hours of shoveling ahead; for a Texas girl, such as myself, the first snowfall of the year is quite the event.

It generally starts with a rumor, a whisper if you would, of snow coming in the next week by the weather man. Then, the temperature begins to drop and you pull out that big heavy coat, fine maybe just a small leather jacket in  Dallas. The forecast starts to show teeny tiny little flakes falling from the clouds. And before you know it, you are sitting in church when a little girl, with joy in her voice, begins to proclaim, "IT'S SNOWING OUTSIDE"!

And she has every right to be excited! It is lovely and magical. There is almost nothing, outside of fairy dust and champagne bubbles, which bring the delicate and enchanting beauty of snow.

Crystallized leaves

Snow falling amidst the palms


I am well aware the pictures above are not what people would call a hard snowfall, but for me it was plenty. A good start of snow to come.  Last year, we had heavy enough snowfall to warrant the making of some rather large snow people (I'm trying to be PC, folks). I am sure there are people who used this little opportunity to start honing their skills and snow people making. If you are one of those, please do share. I would love any tips, mine was a bit lacking last year.


Why I requested tips

I thought about going into more detail about snow and all it's crystalline water ice , but what is the point of that? We all studied it and know it's just frozen cloud droplets .Wouldn't you rather know that Leuven, Belgium is considered the snowball capital of the WORLD? Or that, snowflakes are actually clear or transparent and not white; the prisms break up the light making them appear to be white.



I hope you have been able to delight in a bit of snow this winter. I don't believe I am quite done with it just yet. Neither are these guys.


Pondering the mysteries of snow
XO
DV

2 comments:

  1. That is not a snow person. It is a snow thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow? In Texas??? It really is a beautiful, magical thing. For a Texan, it totally is like a unicorn sighting or something fantastical like that. I love getting a glimpse into the romantical mind of Deepa! Excitedly anticipating more!
    P.S. - Love the chandelier banner.

    ReplyDelete